Image Courtesy of: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljrn1oh5MP1qj6dmmo1_500.jpg
1. How efficient is the circulatory system in distributing materials to all cells in your body?
Any missing assignments!
1. There is no after school this week
2. No School for you Friday- It’s an In-Service day for us teachers to talk about the N.E.A.S. & C. visit.
3. Progress reports close on Monday- please get in all missing work!
Explain what you currently know about the heart.
Starred thought of the Day
*If the worst that can happen is someone saying no, it’s worth a try.*
We learned about the heart for the first part of class today. Some key understandings
inferior vs. Superior
Inferior means below, in the case of the inferior vena cava, it means the blood coming from the lower half of the body.
Superior means above, in the case of the superior vena cava, it means the blood coming from the upper part of the body.
Blood travels in this general outline
Inferior/Superior Vena Cava—> Right Atrium –-Valve—> Right Ventricle—Valve—>Left/Right Pulmonary Artery—> Left/Right Lungs—>Left/Right Pulmonary veins—>Left Atrium—valve—>Left Ventricle—Valve—>Aorta—>Arteries of body—> capillaries of body—> veins of body back to the inferior/superior vena cava (and it repeats, it’s a loop!)
The heart is made up of specialized cardiac muscle, which never gets tired. This means a good amount of mitochondria.
The second half of the block we spent learning in the library, and started our projects. You are designing an explanation of four understandings for your classmates, which are listed below. You can make any teaching aids you need to explain the 4 topics listed below.
Topics for Project
1. Compare and contrast arteries, veins and capillaries (section 16.1)
2. Explain how the four chambered heart circulates blood in mammals and how blood is kept
flowing in one direction throughout your body, include blood pressure in you explanation.
3. Compare and contrast red and white blood cells and describe how red blood cells are
specialized to transport oxygen (section 16.2)
4. Explain how blood clotting can be both beneficial and detrimental (section 16.3)
I’m looking at a few expectations during this project, including core values A3, B2, and E1.
A3- Articulate and defend ideas in a variety of formats and styles
B2- Work Cooperatively and Effectively with others
E1- Identify goals, set priorities and manage individual progress
Your homework is to finish what you decide that you needed to finish to have your group prepared to teach everyone within the group on Monday.
On Tuesday, you will be presenting your project to other groups, who will be evaluating your effectiveness an an educator.
Project- On Monday, we’ll be putting together your project!
16.1/16.2 & 16/3/16.4 sheets due on Monday for Extra Credit